Friday 7 September 2007

A short update
















I have discovered for sure that my Easter baby, Iona, is in fact a male. He and Francis (sex as yet unknown) have often been seen on the roof lately and Iona was showing typical male courting behaviour. I like to know what sex my doves are, and I'm not surprised he's male - he's been big from the start; a very handsome strong dove.

John and Lily have been seen mating a few more times, and the other night spent the night together in one nestbox, but I think it may be well past nesting time for this year...... I hope so.

I have come to the conclusion that the doves have two sittings for dinner! 20-30 come for the first sitting at about 4-5pm and another 10-20 (Iona and Francis included) come about 5-6pm. I feed them all!

I managed to get a picture of Speckles. He's lovely and has feathered feet similar to Joseph's but not quite so impressive.

The photos show (top to bottom) A pair of doves, with male in courting mode (see big neck),Iona, Francis, Iona and Speckles, Speckles.

5 comments:

Inthemud said...

Lovely to read about your Doves.
Must be such a pleasure to watch them all come for food.

Anonymous said...

Don't they look proud, esp the male. Beautiful pictures.

Crystal xx

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

I too love reading about your Doves Faith - thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Anonymous said...

Dear Faith, I saw this and thought of you
http://www.finalsense.com/services/blog_templates/freedom-template-image.htm

it,s a link to a doves blog page template, hope you are well and all is right for you ..
oh idon't think you can click on it from this comment but if you take down the whole of the link and then type in to the top bit with the http thingy.

i dont know it might be a bit fussy for your page as it does look lovely as it is , but thought of you anyway, best wishes, Kath

Anonymous said...

http://www.finalsense.com/services/blog_templates/freedom-template-image.htm