Saturday, 9 August 2014

The babies grow up - and a new baby rescue arrives

Tuesday 22nd July 14

A couple of photos from Painshill Park, Cobham


 Then below, here's Lucky on the porch roof
 A very fluffy baby!
 Tufty, the pigeon whose ringed leg dropped off!
Managing very well! - with a hop, skip and jump!

Wed 23rd Dusty here this morning. Poor Daisy, Dusty’s sibling, must have perished, it’s been too long since I’ve seen her.

Below, Snow White and Charm mating on the hedge - wot more babies!!!

Below, Blackie the juvenile blackbird - seems to 'gasp' a lot

 Here Blackie stands on the memorial stone marking the ashes of my poor little doggie that died.

 Loopy, our secretive adopted cat - caught on camera in the early evening!She's nowhere near as pretty as Bertie - and not at all loving or friendly!

Thurs 24th – Again Dusty was here – elusive little thing, but I managed to take a very quick bad photo before he was off again.....(he's on the left)

Charm seems to suddenly be spending time with her babies, Clover and Clara.

She never did this with the other two lots, Fern and Fleur and Dusty and Daisy – she was too busy making more babies to fuss over the ones she already had. I am glad things have slowed up a little, for her sake, as continual breeding must be a stress on her body and maybe the young ones wouldn’t be quite so healthy. Snow White keeps dragging thin long fronds of pampas grass into Clover and Clara’s nest box – 'Oh Daddy please no, not another one, they are so uncomfortable!'– I just remove them. If he wants to make a nest it would be better to make a new one in the old lower nestbox.

Snow White is driving Charm again, and they are mating regularly. But here Charm says ‘Darling, let’s just sunbathe on the hedge – it’s too hot for nest building!’

I still have no news from Mr. Moon and Star Light – they do their changes, make no fuss and sit tight on their babies – I have to assume they have babies now as if the eggs had failed to hatch I am sure they would’ve abandoned them by now.

I took all the babies out of the nestboxes today for a photo shoot! I very quick one so they wouldn't get chilled.

Now, come on, get ready for the photo!

 Line up - that's right - but look at the camera!
 That's better! - Say cheese! - oops the little dark one's not looking!
Well, three out of four looking at the camera's not bad!

(Roughly, the bigger white two are about 18 days old and the little ones, 10 days)

I got the feeling that Loveday would leave her babies tonight – and she did so. They are about 10 days old, and might well have been ok, but I decided to bring them in anyway. Surely the temperature at night must drop, and they are not really feathered yet. I managed to bring them in without disturbing Star Light, who is a far more settled and laid back mother bird than Loveday. Star Light is probably older than Loveday (instinct tells me she is a teenage mother!)

My juvenile blackbird, Blackie, who actually is more of a chestnut brown – is poorly, I just know it. He still eats some of the mealworms I soak and throw to him, and today I saw him drink from the dish under the garden table but he continually ‘pants’ or ‘gasps’ and doesn’t act in what I would think would be a normal way. This evening, he was just sitting under the garden table, so I gently moved near him and herded him until it went under a big bush, where at least he isn’t visible and may hop up into the branches and be safe – or at least safer. I just don’t think he’s going to survive.

Friday 25th –  Little Blackie is still with us – and can now hop or flutter somehow to the gutter, where he is safer. I have never seen him fly.

 Poorlier? or just sleepy?

 Snow White and Charm were on the ground, so who’s that mating on the roof? Turns out to be Lucky and Loveday – and the babes are only about 10 days old! The cote is pretty full – where will they make a new nest?

Every day, at least twice or three times a day, I climb the steps and peep into Star Light and Mr. Moon’s nest, but never see anything except a calm white dove, sitting tight.
Again tonight I brought Lucky’s babies in to the house.

Sat. 26th July 14 – Maybe young Blackie will survive – he seems to have got over the panting all the time. Maybe it was just the heat. When I got up at 5.15am this morning, ready to put Lucky’s babies back in the cote when the doves arrived, Blackie was easily found on the little lawn near the conservatory, and duly fed mealworms. Mrs Blackbird, who is probably Blackie’s mother, collected any left overs and flew off to fed her new babies. I think it is possibly that in the rush to breed, this rather backward baby got abandoned before it was ready to take care of itself, so hopefully me taking over the parent role and bringing mealworms will help it grow up. Loopy, the scared adopted cat stole down the path for some breakfast while Blackie was still on the lawn, but thankfully didn’t spot him.... and was off very soon, as she never stays long. Not long after, I saw Blackie fly to the fence, and now I know he can fly I am somewhat relieved.

I weighed Lucky’s babies before I put them out and they were 184g for the blondie one and 165g for the dark one.

Later – Blackie’s been around and eaten some mealworms, but I also saw him dive for and eat a little insect on the grass – wow! Well done, Blackie! Maybe today is the day he grows up!

Again, no luck when peeping in Star Light and Mr. Moon’s nest – Hello, Mr. Moon, have you got babies or not? (you can see how bare the nest is)

– well, if these two are sitting on eggs that won’t hatch then they are not doing any harm, and in a few days, if there are babies, they will start to leave them alone for short periods and I will be able to know for sure. I’m very curious though but have the feeling that all is not right....

All my other babies are doing well. Hello Cheekies, I say to them all when I change their nappy papers – the flies are terrible in this heat, and I am trying to avoid the nests getting too m*ggot infested – I have a mild phobia about those revolting things! Clover and Clara are now mostly pooping out of the nestbox, so theirs is not too bad. Daddy SW is still bringing sticks to the nest in the hope of improving it, and persuading Mummy Charm to lay again – but somehow she seems to have a permanent headache!

I had a terrible dilemma as I was babysitting my grandchildren and had to leave here at 6pm – what was I going to do about Lucky and Loveday’s babies? I have decided to call these two Desiree (blondie one) and Chance (dark one). I couldn’t bring them in before I left as it was too early and Loveday might well not have left the garden. In the end I decided to give them a hot water bottle!!!! I heated a medium size round stone in the oven, then wrapped it in a few layer of cashmere glove and placed it right at the back of their nestbox. Then I planned, when I came home, to check them and either bring them to the house, if they felt chilly, or block them in for the rest of the night. To make matters more complicated, Charm was in with her babies, while I gave Desiree and Chance their hotwater bottle and somehow I felt she might be staying.....and laying?!

I arrived home about 2am – and had left everything ready, so I just snuck up the steps, very quietly, and put my hand inside the dark nestbox to feel Desiree and Chance. They both felt warm, thank heavens, so I just put the feather-filled cashmere glove (dovie duvet) inside and then blocked the entrance with a half-brick.

Sunday 27.7.14 – Despite getting to bed at 2.15am I still got up at 5.15am to unblock Lucky’s babies. They were warm and fine – and I removed the stone hot water-bottle too – which no longer had any heat in it, but had served its turn. I did this gently as Charm was in the nestbox with Clover and Clara having stayed the night – and it was so hot with Mummy in with us! Yes, and why was she huffing and puffing? Because, says Mummy Charm, I was laying an egg! And here it is!

 I must look back on my blog but I have a feeling that an egg or eggs were laid last year when there were big babies still in the nest, and they came to nothing....Clover and Clara are about 3 weeks old this weekend, so should be leaving the nest in about a week or so. It’s possible the new egg will have a chance, unless it gets trampled on!

This evening, as I was giving a last sprinkle of grain on the lawn, Star Light flew out of her nest box and I was able to nip up the steps and satisfy my curiosity. In the very scrappy nest, on the bare wooden floor of the cote, was one egg. I picked it up and it looked rather discoloured and had a hole through which I could see part of the chick. It didn’t appear to be making sound or movement but I put it back as it is not up to me to remove it (yet). The doves sometimes amaze me and maybe that baby is hatching, and will survive. If not, then Star Light and Mr. Moon must mourn their baby, and hopefully move on and lay again. I quickly removed some faeces from the nest (though you could hardly call it that- a few sticks) and got down off the steps before Star Light wanted to come back. Tomorrow I will buy some more hay – what I have got is ‘lost’ is the glory hole of the shed – so that I can improve any nests that need it.
Charm is again spending the night crammed in with Clover and Clara, and may well be laying a second egg. C & C probably can’t wait to fledge and get out of those cramped conditions!

Monday 28.7.14 – Charm and her squabs seem perfectly content together all squashed into the nest box. I don’t know if she has laid a second egg by now. This morning’s photo only seems to show one... and it's getting pretty dirty!

I am not sure now whether Star Light and Mr. Moon are taking turns in the nestbox.... or not.... with their one baby, whether it is dead or alive..... I am not sure what to do, as mostly the doves leave dead chicks or unhatched eggs within a couple of days. I don’t know when this egg was laid, maybe much later than I thought, but they have been in the cote, taking turns since the beginning of July.....

WARNING - next bit is distressing photos, so scroll down if you are squeamish....

So, at about 11am when I saw Star Light on the lawn, doing her ‘hen poop’ (which is the first one after the long night in the cote, and needs clearing up off the lawn!), I assumed that Mr. Moon would be in the cote and after a little while decided to have another look. The dove was in the nestbox but the egg was rolled to the side, so I put my hand in and took it – the dove proved to be Star Light and she pecked at me furiously, but I still took it away. The hole was no bigger than yesterday, the baby obviously dead – so I made the hole bigger and took the photo.

 I would say the baby was virtually mummified in this heat .... I wonder why it died?...what a shame. Every death in my garden causes me a pang. Star Light stayed in the cote and I took the egg back to her. I don’t think it will attract flies, it is too dried up. I am hoping in a day or so she will leave the cote, or start laying again – but as Mr. Moon is not ringed, I don’t know whether he’s around or not. Maybe he’s left her.... it’s all a great pity.

Neither hubby or I can decide whether Baby Blackie is actually ok or not. The garden is his habitat – I doubt he leaves it - and he hops around, popping out and making himself visible when he wants feeding. When I’m at home I probably have a quick look around, carrying the pot of soaked mealworms just in case, about once every couple of hours or so. He can eat and fly, and is alive, so I suppose at the least he is ok, if not totally fit and strong! Baby Robs is fine, flitting around the garden and doing more for himself than little Blackie.

Later – Star Light eventually left the cote and didn’t go back to it. I removed the egg and added newspaper to the floor of the nestbox and some nice hay, in case she decides to lay again. We have had other eggs laid in that part of the cote, and none of the eggs/babies have lived – but I don’t think it’s anything to do with the aspect, just bad luck or bad parenting.

I removed the baby from the egg – don’t look at the next photo if you don’t want to see. For some reason I think it died as it was trying to get out of the shell.....I wrapped it in a piece of kitchen paper, with a little daisy flower, and gave it the usual river funeral.

Wed 30th July – After unblocking Desiree and Chance in the early mornings, and clearing up their nestbox, I usually look for Blackie to give him some mealworms – and duly did so this morning, sprinkling the mealworms in front of him. A bit later I was amazed to see Mrs. Blackbird feeding him with them! I went to get my camera and took these rather bad misty photos (my camera doesn’t like the light in the early mornings – it’s always on ‘auto’ as I don’t understand about aperture etc!!) I had wondered before if Blackie was mute, and certainly he didn’t seem to make as much sound as normal baby birds do when they demand to be fed, but he flapped his wings and made small noises, and Mrs. B collected more mealworms from the lawn and fed him again! It was definitely my Blackie and my Mrs. B and it seems most odd that she should start feeding him after all this time – odd, but good – if it helps him along the way to maturity.

 Later, here's Blackie with baby Robs, both feeding themselves.

 Friday 1st August – Making sure Brownie Mo gets enough to eat continues to be a problem. I have various strategies but they don’t all work! However, he’s now been around for two weeks or so - so somehow or other he must be getting enough. Today I made a successful attempt to grab him, and brought him into the kitchen for a good feed. Much more than the little top-ups I sometimes give the young birds, this was a feast! He can only ever pick up – when he’s lucky! – the yellow corn and the split peanuts, so I fed him mainly the varied colour peas, but some peanuts too – probably about 40 or more pieces. The bottom section of his beak doesn’t appear to be any different from when I first had him in – not growing at all, though I believe broken beaks can repair themselves, like nails. He resisted at first, but soon loosened his jaw so I could feed him. He trusts me a bit, but I wish he would trust me more to make it easier for himself. I think it was May when I first saw him.

 Below, my 4 year old grandson with Desiree and Chance

 Sat 2nd August 14 – I have been so busy setting up my new Groovycart shop, Granny’s Attic that I haven’t been jotting down notes about the birds for this blog. Blackie is still ‘my’ baby rather than Mrs. B’s. I haven’t seen her feeding him again, but have seen her with another young bird, probably a sibling of Blackie’s. This one was following her around, flying after her and making lots of feed me noises! Blackie has grown up a little in as much that he doesn’t just sit on the lawn and wait for me to find him, to feed him. No, now he comes to find me! And if I have been out for a few hours, or have been busy in the house – he will fly to the door step, or even the mat demanding his mealworms. I feel guilty if I haven’t got them nice and soaked and ready for him, pronto!

Today, I actually found him in the kitchen! How long will it be before he stalks into the living room to find me!

All the babies are doing well. Clover and Clara should be fledging soon, and Snow White sits on the hedge encouraging them out. It must be such a squash in the nestbox with either mummy or daddy on the eggs, and two nearly fully grown squabs. They are four weeks old tomorrow and the egg or eggs that Charm and SW are sitting on is a week old, and if all goes well should hatch around the 15th. Desiree and Chance, Lucky and Loveday’s babies are about 18/19 days old. I am still blocking them in at night, but tomorrow will probably be the last time. The weather is mild and they are nicely feathered now.

 Parent with baby out on the ledge - Lucky, bottom right
Then, both babies are peeking out - the parent is probably Charm

 Way too many pigeons!
 Blackie ventures as far as the aga (not lit)

I have just finished reading ‘A Street Cat named Bob’ by James Bowen. I expect you’ve read it, but if not, I highly recommend it. I  couldn’t put it down! Also see James and Bob on Youtube – just type in ‘cat Bob’ and various options will come up. What a heart-warming real life story!

I blocked Desiree and Chance in tonight as I was getting up early anyway.

Sunday 3rd August 14 –  A bit of a chilly early morning – quite Septemberish! I was glad that Desiree and Chance had been blocked in and will do it tonight again – just one last time!

Snow White was doing his best to get his squabs, Clover and Clara, to come out of the nestbox onto the hedge – but they wouldn’t!

 On Sundays, we are often running short of grain - so they get soaked bread!
 Clover, very grubby, and near fledging
 Kisses from Mummy Charm.... until she gets tired of it....
 and flies out of the nestbox

Monday 4th August 14 -  This morning about 7am I found that little Clover (red/green rings) had fledged and was on the lawn under the cote. While Snow White was with her (or him!) I let her wander a little, but when he went away and she attempted to fly, but could only get up to the step ladder, I gently picked her up and replaced her in the nestbox (with sibling, Clara, and mummy Charm, plus the egg or eggs!) In the natural way (in a non-domestic environment) the young squabs would probably not be able to get back to the nest – so, on the ground, they would either try to get to the highest point, and the father pigeon (or dove) would feed them there, or some would inevitably meet a predator and die. I’m always glad that I can help my little squabs until they can fly successfully.

 Clover, just fledged, and a bit wary of this brown pigeon
 Clover, with Daddy Snow White
 Lucky lets Loveday henpeck him (I wonder if he still thinks about Charm?)

Current young ones and babies:
Fern and Fleur – about 14 weeks old, and still both seen regularly
Dusty and Daisy – Dusty is about 8.5 weeks old. Daisy is no longer seen
Clover and Clara – about 4 weeks old and just beginning to fledge

The above are all Snow White and Charm’s off-spring, and they are currently sitting on at least one and most likely two eggs – due to hatch mid-month.

And then we have Desiree and Chance who are now nearly 3 weeks old, and are Lucky and Loveday’s babies.

 Tuesday 5.8.14 – Both Clover and Clara came out of the nestbox today – neither can fly properly, which is not very good, but as the day was fine, and I think the garden is reasonably safe now that Bertie is no longer around, I allowed them to sit on the stump under the dovecote for a while when the other birds had flown to the roof. Beforehand, I saw Clover begging and getting food from Snow White. Charm must be relieved to have the nestbox to herself, and I think when I put them back up – as I don’t think they’ll be able to get up themselves – that I will put them in the other nestbox that SW considers ‘his room’ so that they get used to being there – as if I don’t I reckon SW or Charm will be pushing them out of the current nestbox because of the eggs.

 Above, SW drinking and Clover and below he feeds his baby

 Below, one squab on the hedge and the other right down on the stump under the cote
 Hey, what're you doing down there?
 Wait, says Clara, I'm coming to join you!

 My two little dickie birds

First thing this morning, I found a pigeon that couldn’t fly under the hutch. She is probably at the end of her life but as she tried to get away, Lucky was being silly and billing and cooing all over her, so I picked her up, gave her a small hand-feed, and then put her in the run to keep her safe from the other birds and predators. If she lasts, then I will bring her in every night. I won’t in general be hand-feeding her as she is not injured, but she looks old – if she can’t eat, then so be it – but I will of course provide food and water. Cissie is normally in the run, and I will see if she is prepared to share with the oldie but if not I will have to think again. Not long after writing this, it was time to put the homies, Cloud and Cissie out – Cloud went in the hutch as usual, and Cissie in the run. The oldie ran to the back of the run, the part underneath the upstairs accommodation – it’s a bit dark and gloomy there, but at least safe. Cissie jumped onto a brick and seemed aware that the other was there somehow, but didn’t go looking for her. Them both being females helps to make it easier.

You can just about see the oldie by the blue bowl, with Cissie sitting near the terracotta one

Later, in the afternoon, I released the oldie, who I had named Dorothy, and she must've flown away because I didnt see her again.

Clover and Clara still sat on their stump, and preened themselves – it must be pleasant and more healthy for them to get some air circulating round their feathers after being squashed in the nestbox with either SW or Charm!

 Above, I thought it was quite sweet when Cloud, far left, joined the squabs - and below, front to back, Cloud, Cissie, and the squabs

While I was typing this, I heard an odd noise coming from the kitchen. I looked all round but first couldn’t see anything – then I spotted Blackie in the corner. Yesterday I had swept the kitchen floor, but just swept the ‘sweepings’ to the side because my back was so terrible (suffering a lot at the moment with it, and on strong painkillers from the doctor) – awaiting sweeping into the dustpan when I felt stronger. Blackie had come into the kitchen, discovered the pile – which included grain of course, as it is always everywhere, and was helping himself! There was also some bits of broken chine so I hope he didn’t eat any of that. He is obviously growing up and getting cheeky! He has what looks like a greyish patch on his head, but as you look closer you can see that it is a bald patch – perhaps he was pecked at in the early days by a parent or another bird. I don’t think he would survived without my help, and obviously now is tamer than most birds, so can always call at the kitchen door if he wants some food – or just let himself in as you can see!

After about an hour, I picked Clover and Clara up from the stump, together, two little white fluffy bundles, with no resistance as they were probably tired, and put them in the lower front nestbox. I gave them a small dish of little grains. By that time, all the doves had gone off flying, and only half a dozen hopeful pigeons stayed on the roof.

Wednesday 6.8.14 –  Today I had to leave the house at 8am, knowing I wouldn’t get back til mid afternoon and wondering how the young birds, Clover and Clara, would get on without me. When I left Clara was in the cote, but Clover nowhere to be seen – I hoped on the roof, but I couldn’t see her.  I left an open carrying box near the pampas grass in case they needed something to hide in, but luckily the weather stayed fine, and when I came home my two white fluffy babies were sitting on the lawn under the cote, perfectly at home and perfectly fine. Thank heavens Bertie has moved away, or this wouldn’t have been the same happy scenario I am sure!

In the afternoon, as I was scattering grain, something plopped onto the grass near me, and by the time I had registered it was Dorothy, an aggressive male was on top of her – this form of mating, with no courting ritual, I can only call rape and I’ve seen it before in vulnerable or ill birds – it’s not pleasant to watch, and I don’t know why the males do it. I immediately scooped her up and out of the situation, and put her in the run, same as yesterday. I did give her a small hand feed, then left her with some grain.  I will keep her overnight, and see how she is tomorrow. Although she won’t want to be kept in, at least it will save her the strain of flying however far it is to where she roosts, and I can make sure she gets some food.

Around 6pm a friend (who has 4 cats) phoned to say that she had found a young bird on her path. I asked what kind of bird it was and she said she didn’t know, but it looked like a pigeon. I asked if she thought that the parents were around to feed it, but she said she hadn’t seen any adult birds, and the baby wasn’t going to last two minutes on the path with her cats around. Apparently when she went right up to it, it didn’t fly away but just tried to hide itself in the leaves near the path. I said I was happy to look after it if she felt it necessary, so she brought it round. I recognised it immediately as a baby stock dove – remember when I had Stockie in the garden, joining in with the pigeons? This baby though was much younger – still with the down on its head and probably only 3 weeks old, maybe 4. My friend just couldn’t imagine where it had come from – plenty of trees in the garden but no trees nearby for it to have fallen out of the nest. A bit of a mystery. Anyway, it felt warm, which is a good sign, but it’s crop was empty, so after making sure it wasn't injured, I gave it a hand feed of grains, and then offered it some tepid water from the little glass. It got the hang of this and did take some sips. My friend was concerned for its survival, but nothing can be promised. It’s incredibly sweet, and I will do my best.... now what shall I call it? I put it in a kitchen paper lined box, inside a carrier, and put it in the conservatory. It hopped up to the side of the little box, and perched on the side, closing its eyes to go to sleep. I draped the box with a doubled over blanket for warmth and I think it should be ok there for the night.

By 7.30pm Clover had left SW on the roof, and was sitting on the brick on the top of the step ladder, obviously unable or unwilling to get back into the nestbox – so I managed to grab her quite easily and pop her in with Clara. Then they got blocked in with a half brick – which I will remove when I go to bed so that I don’t have to get up early to unblock them. I’m always pleased when I have young vulnerable birds to get them safely put away for the night.

Then I put Cissie to bed in her night box early so I could use the crate in the conservatory for Dorothy! – which I half draped with a blanket. Then Cloud to bed.... Whew – by 8pm my bird duties for the day were done!

Thursday 7.8.14 – My baby stock dove, Gulliver, survived the night. I am keeping him in a ‘nest situation’ at the moment, as that is how, at his age, he should be in the wild. So he has a smaller box, for a nest, lined with straw, inside the bigger carrying box, and there he stays in the semi-darkness until it is time for me to take him out to feed him. He accepts food well, and drinks from the little glass, but who knows how he will get on .... I am not an expert. In the afternoon, I ‘borrowed’ Lucky and Loveday’s squab, Chance, who is approx 3 weeks old, to compare him with Gulliver.

Left, rescue Stock Dove about 3 weeks old, and pigeon squab similar age

Above, Gulliver, left and Chance, ringed, right

 They seem pretty similar so I would say that I was right in thinking that Gulliver is 3 weeks old too. I can only assume that he somehow tumbled from the nest, and walked to the path where he was found. If he survives, I will keep him in the same way for about a week, then start slowly introducing him to the garden, in a protected situation, so he can see the other birds and learn to pick up grains. But let’s see if he makes it first....

Dorothy also survived the night, and seemed ok....

 She has a very pretty breast of mauvey-pink feathers with some bronze ones at the top. Cloud is her companion for the morning.
and she was put in the run with Cissie until the afternoon when I would be able to supervise her on the lawn, and keep those males away!

Afternoon - it wasn’t my intention to keep Dorothy if she wanted to go, so I gave her a little feed and put her down on the grass

but I could see straight away that it wasn’t a case of sheltered housing, but more that a hospice was needed. So I put her in a carrying cage on the garden table in a nice padded box, and within a very short time she had quietly passed away.

Below, the tail you can see belongs to Cloud, she likes to peck the brickwork under the step when she gets a chance. Little Robs has come to see what she's doing - and any chance of some mealworms?

Friday 8th Aug – I was having both my grandchildren at theirs today, so I took little Gulliver with me in his carrying box. He would’ve been alright without a feed, as pigeon type birds, even young ones, go for hours without feeds sometimes, but I was worried that he would need water. The children of course were delighted to see him, but he’s not a toy, so I just gave him his water when necessary, and the rest of the time we left him alone.

This afternoon when I was feeding him, he made his first little noise, a tiny squeak! And he pecked at my fingers so I’d hurry up with the food! He has accepted me as the only parent he is going to have now, and like any parent I want my baby to be happy and healthy. I’ve now had him for 48 hours and it is all going well.

Sat 9th –  My 'angel of the morning' - Blackie

Juvenile blackbird 

I am hoping that I am feeding Gulliver correctly – my heart wants to feed him more, but my head says to be careful and not feed him too much! Today I mixed up some of the Kaytee Exact formula (you can buy it on ebay) and made little ‘peas’. I want to give him as good as diet as possible.

Kaytee Exact for hand rearing baby birds

I also made his accommodation a bit bigger for the daytime, to give him a little more freedom of movement – as you can see from the photo. He stayed in the 'outside' bit for a while, then went back to his nest - what a cutie!

 This is on the spare room bed and he will be staying there until I’ve had him a week – then if the weather is good and he seems old enough – I will start putting him outside for short periods in a cage.

 Above, Clover and below Clara - my young squabs
 Below, can you see two little white bundles under the hutch - they still like to perch there sometimes, even though they can now fly.

Loveday is in with her babies, Desiree and Chance, and I think has probably laid new eggs, and Star Light and Mr. Moon, after their disappointment, are also trying again!

PS - My Grannys Attic shop is getting nicely filled with goodies - mainly toys - please do go to Groovycart and have a look (browsing only - no purchasing until 1st Sept. 14). My other Groovycart shop - Real Birds Feathers is stocked and open!

To be cont....


Fennie said...

Thanks for bringing us all up to date. Love your stories of rescue. There's a big pile of Karma points for you to collect one day, deposited by all your various charges. Seen no nestlings myself this year, but the sparrows come back and forth now in a big flock - they go from garden to garden I suppose, though where they go in the rain is a mystery. They always seem dry. There's a wood pigeon with a crabbed foot who makes a good job of one footed landings but for whom I feel always sorry. Why does this happen to pigeons feet? No other bird seems to suffer in this way. I used to think it was a London thing: a consequence of all the anti-pigeon devices - but it seems more general. Now, why don't you have wood pigeons in your flock? Maybe you do but I can't see any.

hopeinparis said...

Faith, I need a diagram of all the birds in your garden to keep it all straight! You are amazing. Great blog as always. 5 of your fabulous photos are on my Pinterest dedicated board of pigeons and doves: ... xx Jane

hopeinparis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Val said...

'Still reading along. I love reading all your accounts of bird life (and loss).

Elsfield Chickens said...

Aww those squabs are adorable
Its funny you have a young black bird like blackie we have one thats very tame and also ventures indoors

Elsfield Chickens said...

Aww those squabs are adorable
Its funny you have a young black bird like blackie we have one thats very tame and also ventures indoors